VAIDYA BALENDU PRAKASH
Padmashree recipient 1999
Ayurvedic Physician, Padaav-Speciality Ayurvedic Treatment Centre
Founder, Vaidya Chandra Prakash Cancer Research Foundation (VCPCRF)
Born into a family of a Rasa Vaidya, Dehradun-based Vaidya Balendu Prakash practises one of the eight classical forms of Ayurveda called ‘Rasa Shastra’. During his nearly four decades of clinical experience, Prakash has conceptualized and developed research-based products, all based on classical references mentioned in Ayurvedic texts, including a few developed by his father Vaidya Chandra Prakash, who was also a Vaidya. These products have been based on clinical evidence created by Prakash following good clinical practice. Some of his innovative treatment protocols for diseases like Chronic Pancreatitis, Anaemia, Migraine, Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia (APML), and Childhood Asthma have benefitted many patients and their families. Vaidya Balendu Prakash has travelled extensively around the globe in relation to treatment of patients and to attend conferences, seminars and symposiums with more than 300 foreign trips so far. He has also travelled all across the country and has delivered more than 200 lectures, especially on data-based clinical practice in Ayurveda. Besides being actively engaged in his clinical research-cum-practice, he has contributed to the field by establishing a high-altitude medicinal plant nursery (Atees, Aconitum heterophyllum) in a remote village in Uttarakhand and has actively engaged local farmers to cultivate medicinal plants through public-government partnership programmes, especially for endangered plants like Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Konch (Mucuna pruriens), Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentine), Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica) and many more.
- Established proof of concept by successfully treating 11 patients of Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APML) – a fatal type of blood cancer in a study carried in collaboration with Indian Rotary Cancer Hospital (All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and sponsored by Central Council of Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS), Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India. (1997 – 2000)
The said invention has been accorded US and European patent.
- Established first of its type clinical research unit at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC), Thiruvananthpuram in Kerala state with support from State Government of Kerala and created evidences for the successful treatment of patients of Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia, Chronic Pancreatitis and sub-mucous fibrosis. (1999 – 2001)
Was awarded Padmashree in 1999 for the project on Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia
- Conceptualized project I-3 CAP to create confident Ayurvedic physicians by bringing individual, institution and industry on a single platform. The project was brought by Padma Vibhushan Raghunath A. Mashelkar, former Director General, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Secretary, Science and Technology, Government of India at Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. It created promising therapeutic effect in the prevention of migraine by structuring an Ayurvedic treatment protocol consisting of diet, lifestyle and Ayurvedic formulations. (started 2002)
The ATP for migraine has further developed in association with leading institutes and industry and now it stands as significantly and sustainably effective in comparison to modern medicine.
[Source: Department of Neurology, AIIMS, New Delhi, April 2010 – August 2016)]
Three papers have been published in international journals about safety and efficacy.
- Developed non-iron Ayurvedic formulation for improving Nutritional Anaemia by conducting controlled studies in association with government agencies and institutes of State and Central government. This formulation has been included in Technology Vision 2035 for improving Nutritional Anaemia and the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi has recommended its use for multi-centre study in August 2016.
Three papers have been published in international journals about safety and efficacy.
- Development of fast acting Herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation for treatment of Acute/ Persistent Allergic Rhinitis. This innovation is four times more effective and has four times less side-effects in comparison to available allopathic medicines and has the quickest effect in this segment.
(1995 – 2014)
It has been adopted by a leading pharmaceutical company of India and will soon be available in the market.
- Innovation for the treatment of Acute Recurring/ Chronic Pancreatitis. It is a fatal disease and has no known cure in the world. First ever evidence has been created and more than 250 cases have been treated with sustainable effect.
(1997 till date)
Patent has been filed vide PCT application no. 3373/DEL/2014. This innovation is being developed under mission Nobel Prize programme of State Government of Uttarakhand.
- Repositioning of a classical Ayurvedic formulation by carrying various experimental and clinical studies – a union of tradition and technology.
The product is known as Prak-20 which has strongest hepato-protective effect.
Ayurvedic Physician (private practice)
Founder & Medical Director, VCP Cancer Research Foundation (VCPCRF), Dehradun| Accredited as Scientific Industrial Research Organization (SIROs) by the Department of Scientific Industrial Research under the Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, Delhi
Chairman of Ayurveda, Siddha & Unani Drugs Technical Advisory Board, Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, Delhi
Member, Executive Body, Governing Body and Scientific Advisory Committee of Centre Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha (CCRAS), Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family welfare, Government of India, Delhi
Honorary Physician to his Excellency President of India, Shri KR Narayanan
Member, Central Council of Indian Medicine, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, Delhi
Head, Clinical Research Unit, Regional Cancer Centre (RCC), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala sponsored by Government of Kerala.
Head, Clinical Research Unit, Shri Dhanvantri Ayurvedic College and Hospital Chandigarh, India
Member, Research Advisory Committee, Herbal Research Development Institute, Gopeshwar, State Government of Uttarakhand
Medical Director and Ayurvedic Physician, Specialized Indian Traditional Medical Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Member, Governing Body, Scientific Advisory Committee, Central Council for Research in Ayurveda & Siddha (CCRAS), Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, Delhi
Member, Programme Advisory Committee (PAC) for National Cancer Control Programme (NCCP), Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, Delhi
Advisor, Ayurveda, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, State Government of Uttarakhand
Head, Task Force to Revamp Rishikul State Ayurvedic Pharmacy, Haridwar, State Government of Uttarakhand
Medical Director and Ayurvedic Physician, AL-JOOD Specialized Ayurvedic Centre, Muscat, Oman
Director R&D, IPCA Traditional Remedies Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, India
Member, Ayurveda Siddha and Unani Drugs Technical Advisory Board, Department of AYUSH, MoH & FW, Government of India, Delhi
Consultant in Ayurveda at Dharmshila Cancer Hospital & Research Centre, New Delhi
Visiting Consultant Ayurveda, AMRI Hospital of Emami Group of Company Mukundapur, Kolkata
Member, Expert Advisory Committee, Ayurvedic and Unani Tibia College, Delhi under Government of N.C.T. of Delhi
Member, Governing Body, Chaudhary Brahm Prakash Ayurved Charak Sansthan, Najafgarh, Delhi under Government of N.C.T. of Delhi
Life member, Indian co-operation oncology Network (ICON)* and Head, Subcommittee (Ayurveda), Mumbai, India (A selected group of 267 conventional oncologists of India)
Present Member, International Headache Society, United Kingdom
Public seminar on state of Ayurvedic formulations in India under the aegis of VCP Cancer Research Foundation
National Training Workshop on Rasa-Shastra (NTWRS) sponsored by the Indian Council of Medical Research, Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, Government of Uttarakhand
14th ICON Meet, Dehradun under the aegis of VCP Cancer Research Foundation
“Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman” awarded by Sh. Nityanad Swami, Chairman, UP Legislative Assembly, Dehradun
“Pranacharya” awarded by Hon’ble Saleem Iqbal Shervani, Union Minister of State Health & Family Welfare, Government of India
“Doon Ratna” awarded by Swami Vidyanand Giri, Dehradun
“National Citizen Award-1996” awarded by H.E. Sh. K.R. Narayanan, President of India
Memento & Civic Reception awarded by H.E. R.L. Narayanan, Ambassador of India, Qatar, Doha
PADAMSHREE awarded by H.E. President of India
“Best Ayurvedic Physician-98”, awarded by Hon’ble Smt. Sheela Dixit, Chief Minister of Delhi
“Pride of Doon”, awarded by Hon’ble Sh. Nityanand Swami, Chief Minister, Uttarakhand & H.E. Sh. S.S. Barnala, Governor, Uttarakhand
“Bhishak Shree” title conferred by Sri Sri Ravishankar Ji, Art of Living (AOL)
20 publications in national and international journals of repute
- Prakash VB, Pandey S, Singh S, Ayurvedic Preparation in the Treatment of Nutritional Anaemia, Indian Journal of Hematology & Blood Transfusion; 18(4), pp. 79-83, 2000.
- Toteja GS, Singh P, Dhillon BS, Saxena BN, Prakash VB, Vitamin A Deficiency Disorders in 16 Districts of India, The Indian Journal of Paediatrics; 69, 2002.
- Toteja GS, Singh P, Dhillon BS, Saxena BN, Prakash VB, Singh RP, Iodine Deficiency Disorder in 16 Districts of India, The Indian Journal of Paediatrics, 71: 25-28, 2004.
- Prakash B, Indigenous Approach to Combat Cancer, Health Administrator, 17 (1), pp. 169-171, 2005.
- Toteja GS, Singh P, Dhillon BS, Saxena BN, Prakash VB, Singh RP, Prevalence of Anaemia Among Pregnant Women and Adolescent Girls in 16 Districts of India, 27 (4): pp. 311-315, 2006.
- Prakash VB, Pareek A, Narayan JP, Observational Study of Ayurvedic Treatment on Migraine Without Aura, CEPHALALGIA: An International Journal of Headache, 26 (11): 1317, 2006.
- Prakash VB, Pareek A, Bhat V, Chandrukar N, Babu R, et al., Response to Ayurvedic Treatment in Prevention of Migraine: An Update of Multi-Centric Observational Study; CEPHALALGIA: An International Journal of Headache, 27: 745, 2007.
- Special mention in a book on Integrated Approach for Treatment of Migraine: In Basic Principles for Clinical Research and Methodology (Editor: SK, Gupta Published by JAYPEE Brothers Medical Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2007), 332.
- Karmuse P, Prakash VB, Indu G., Benchmarking of Mandoor Bhasma for Industrial Production. Published in the Abstract Book of the Symposium on “Safety Profile of Rasa Aushadhies” held at Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi from February, 06-07, 2009.
- Pal SK, Prakash VB, Chandurkar N, Saraf MN, Safety Studies on Combination of Four Rasa-Aushadies in Rodents Using OECD Parameters. Published in the Abstract Book of the Symposium on “Safety Profile of Rasa Aushadhies” held at Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi from February, 06-07, 2009.
- Prakash Balendu Vaidya, Babu S R Vaidya, Suresh Kumar K Vaidya, Response to Ayurvedic Therapy in the Treatment of Migraine Without Aura, International Journal of Ayurveda Research, Vol. 1 (1): pp. 30-36, January – March
- Prakash VB, Prakash S, Sharma R, Pal SK., Sustainable Effect of Ayurvedic Formulation in the Treatment of Nutritional Anaemia in Adolescence Students, The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 16 (2), pp. 205-211, 2010.
- Prakash VB, Mukherjee A, Hepato-Protective Effect of an Ayurvedic Formulation Prak-20 in CC14 Induced Toxicity in Rats: Results of Three Studies, International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 2 (1): pp. 23-27, 2010.
- Prakash VB, Babu S R, Suresh Kumar K., Prophylaxis Ayurvedic Treatment Protocol for Migraine Without Aura: Observational Clinical Study From Three Centres, Headache, 50 (S1): 53, 2010.
- Chaudhary A, Prakash VB, Scientific Validated Approach for Application of Mandura Bhasma: A Review; Electronic Journal of Pharmacology & Therapy, 3: pp. 35-40, 2010.
- Prakash VB, Saraf MN, Chandurkar N., Acute and Sub-Acute Toxicity Study of Ayurvedic Formulation (AYFs) Used for Migraine Treatment. International Journal of Toxicology & Pharmacological Research, 2 (2), June-August, 2010.
- Prakash BV, Parikh PM, Pal SK, Herbo-mineral Ayurvedic Treatment in a High Risk Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia Patient With Second Relapse: 12 years follow up; Journal of Ayurveda & Integrative Medicine, Vol. 1. (3), pp. 215-218, July- September 2010.
- Prakash VB, Treatment of Relapsed Undifferentiated Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML-M0) with Ayurvedic Therapy, International Journal of Ayurveda Research, 2(1), Jan-March, pp. 56-59, 2011.
- Prakash VB, Growing up with Mercury in an Ayurvedic Family Tradition in Northern India, Asian Medicine, Vol. 8, pp. 211-228, 2013.
- Vaidya Balendu Prakash, Shyam Prakash, Rajesh Sharma, Megha Prakash, Shikha Prakash, Kiran Parmar, Integration of Ayurvedic Formulations with Iron Folic Acid in the Treatment of Nutritional Anaemia Among School Going Adolescents of Dehradun District, TANG [Humanitas Medicine], Vol. 6(1) / e5, 2016.
- Vaidya Balendu Prakash, Vaidya Shikha Prakash, Shakshi Sharma, Sneha Tiwari, Relevance of metal based Ayurvedic formulations in the management of recurrent acute/ chronic pancreatitis, TANG [Humanitas Medicine], Vol. 7 (2)/ e9, 2017.
- Balendu Prakash, Anish Maru, Shikha Prakash, Sneha Tiwari, Management of Bicytopenia using metal based Ayurvedic formulations, Journal of Ayurveda Case Reports, 2017, 1(2), 16-21.
- Prakash VB, Prakash S, Sharma S, Tiwari S, Impact evaluation of Ayurvedic Treatment Protocol on three hundred nineteen cases of different variants of Pancreatitis, Pancreatic Disorders & Therapy, 2018, 8:2
Date of Birth: 14 March 1959
Married to Smt. Gopa Indu
Parents: Late Vaidya Chandra Prakash and Late Smt. Shashi Mukhi